The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) commissioned the GIZ to implement the Social Protection Programme (SPP) in Malawi. The SPP programme has been operational in Malawi since 2015 and has entered its second phase (2018-2021). The SPP seeks to support the Government of Malawi to strengthen the coordination and implementation of the Malawi National Social Support Programme II (MNSSP II).
GIZ SPP consists of a team working closely with Poverty Reduction Strategy Papers (PRSP) at national level and hub teams that provide technical support to the districts in the respective hubs to help implement different in thematic areas including financial inclusion, public works and watershed management, harmonized grievance and redress mechanisms, district coordination and graduation.
GIZ Social Protection Programme seeks to recruit suitably qualified Administrative Officer to support the implementation of social protection programme in the Southern Region’ Blantyre Office.
Position: Administrative Officer
The incumbent works under the supervision of the HOA and performs the following tasks:
- Ensure the efficient and effective implementation of project administrative processes and services in compliance with GIZ’s Orientation and Rules (0+R) and overall outstanding performance of the administration team
- Support the Hub Manager, the Financial Manager and the Technical Staff of the programme in their tasks
- Manage the administration section in accordance with management principles and guidelines to promote a sense of corporate identity, enable employees to carry out tasks independently and create scope for creativity and innovation
- Advise the Southern Hub Manager on questions relating to the thematic area and on issues that are relevant to different groups within the administration team
- Provide regular updates to the Financial Manager on all finance relevant information, timely response to queries and implement recommendations
- Coordinate and manage the administration and support logistics, accountancy, facility management
- Supervise overtime sheets of the Hub team
- Identify efficient daily working tracks, innovative processes and procedures geared towards the improvement of current working administrative practices
- Take responsibility for banking matters and all bank account operations.
- Records all expenditures in the winpaccs bank book.
- Monitor income & expenditure and monthly bank reconciliation
- Monitor account payables / receivables, provides monthly feedback to the HOA
- Monitor and pro-actively clear third-party receivables
- Regularly update and monitor a contract tracking tool for local contracts, financing agreements and local subsidies
- Maintain cheque booking register.
- support to implement the procurement process within the program according to GIZ standards
- support preparing contracts / preparing and coordinating procurement requests submitted to Country Office/ HQ in accordance with (O + R)
- Monitoring and following up of Procurement and Contract Database
- Support the technical staff in administering and managing Local subsidy agreements with the districts.
- General Administration and Management
- Support smooth procurement processes for services, equipment and other items in-country, including office rent issues and tenancy agreements
- Review and ensure the correct classification of vouchers/receipts according to completeness and cost centres/cost category and rectify them if required
- Maintain proper and accurate filing for the administration section (hard copies and soft copies on DMS) and keep information confidential
- Provide advice and guidance in administrative matters to project technical staff and ensure that all team members adhere to GIZ regulations for their respective area of competence
- Take overall responsibility for preparing the Blantyre office for internal control and audits and for immediate implementation of follow-up recommendations
- Management of vehicles and logbooks.
- Insure proper inventory management
- Draw and properly file hand-over protocols for assets, items and equipment to be handed over to project partners
- Ensure proper allocation of programme equipment and regular maintenance thereof with support from the accountant
Required qualifications, competences and experience Qualifications
- B.A, B.COM with a focus on accounting or related area.
- Training certificates in GIZ accounting system would be an asset.
- 5-10 years’ professional experience in a comparable position
- GIZ experience will be preferred.
Other duties/additional tasks
- Keep up to date with latest developments in the accounting and administration fields, GIZ Rules and Regulations and service delivery
- Be conversant with the legal basis, mandate, programme activities and objectives of the programmes
- Immediately report all problems involving administration and regulations to the Head of Administration.
- Perform other duties and tasks at the request of management.
How to apply
Interested candidates meeting the above requirements should submit their applications, with a one-page cover letter demonstrating how they meet the above requirements, along with a detailed CV (max. 5 pages). Clearly indicate in subject line the position being applied for. Only accepting applications sent via email. Do not hand deliver or send your applications via post.
Email to: [email protected]
The closing date for applications is 29th December, 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. GIZ is an equal opportunities employer. Women and young professionals are encouraged to apply!