The College of Medicine (CoM) was established in 1991 as a constituent college of the University of Malawi. Its mission is to be an academic centre of excellence in the training of doctors and other health professionals in clinical service and medical research, responsive to the health needs of Malawi and its neighbours within the Southern African region. In pursuit of the mission, the CoM is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacancies:
Position: Assistant Accountant (Projects)
The Assistant Accountant (Projects) will work under the general supervision of the Grants Compliance Officer. He/she will be responsible for accurate and timely preparation of cash book, debtorsu2019 management, VAT withholding and remittances, processing payments, assisting the preparation of financial reports, maintaining accounting records and involved in supporting internal and external audits.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparation of cashbooks of all projects bank accounts for internal and international stakeholders applications.
- Preparing, coding and capturing projects data for purchases and creditors and submitting them for checking and approval.
- Attending to all queries relating to projects purchases, creditors and debtors.
- Withholding VAT charged by suppliers and remitting the same to Malawi Revenue Authority.
- Collecting statements from suppliers and debtors; checking them for arithmetic accuracy and reconciling them.
- Preparing schedules for long outstanding creditors and debtors for write off.
- Following up on projects general debtors by sending out reminders.
- Filing copies of orders, approved purchase requisitions, supplier delivery notes, and goods received notes issued by stores for projects.
- Any other duties assigned from time to time.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
- Must have an ICAM Diploma or equivalent and be studying professional stages of CIMA, ACCA or ICAM. Those with a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from a recognized institution can also be considered.
- At least 3 years practical accounting experience in a busy accounting office.
- Those with external audit experience will have an added advantage
- Working knowledge of ERP accounting platforms such as Sage, ACCPAC etc.
- Proficiency in Microsoft excel
- Honesty and ability to work under minimum supervision
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Attention to detail, meeting tight deadlines under pressure, working independently and within a diversified team
How to Apply
Applications with copies of certificates and detailed Curriculum Vitae including names, contacts and emails of 3 traceable referees should be sent to:
College of Medicine
Private Bag 360
Email: [email protected]
Applications should be submitted by 21st December, 2020. Please indicate the title of the post in the subject line (email submissions) and on the envelope (hard copy submissions). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.