Search For Jobs offers in Malawi
Apply on Careers Malawi
Country Director, Malawi
Seed Global Health (Seed)
Apply on Careers Malawi
2 hours agoFull–time
Seed Global Health (Seed) envisions a world in which every country is strengthened by a robust health workforce to best meet the health needs of its population. Seed’s mission is to educate a rising generation of health professionals to strengthen access to quality care with a goal of saving lives and improving health. Seed is unique in its approach
by focusing on the education and training of doctors, nurses and midwives. By training health care professionals and health educators, Seed seeks to empower current and future generations of health providers so that good health is not the privilege of a few, but the right of all.
Seed focuses on strengthening the education, practice, and policy of the local professional health workforce in Africa.
Seed’s core strategy and primary entry point centers on placing skilled and qualified educators at partner institutions for a minimum of one academic year. Seed also supports educators and partner institutions through a diverse and complementary package of services aimed at advancing health professional education in the classroom and clinical setting.
By investing in long-term partnerships for improved health professional education, we help to create a stronger, more sustainable health workforce that is both locally led and better able to meet local health needs.
For more information, please visit www.seedglobalhealth.org
The Country Director, Malawi will provide strategic leadership and direction for Seed Global Health in the Malawi across all domains to ensure that available resources are efficiently utilized and fully leverage existing external resources for maximum impact. The country director is also responsible for proximal representation and ensuring
integrity of Seed Global Health program in Malawi and the region. The Country Director, will report to the MD, Program Operations and works closely with all Malawi and international team members.
Duties and Responsibilities
In collaboration with the leadership team and respective officers at headquarters, the country director will undertake the following responsibilities:
• Lead the development and implementation of a sound country strategy aligned with national priorities and positioning Seed to effectively contribute to the development of the health sector in Malawi.
• Periodically guide the revision of the country strategy based on evolving local and international trends
• Explore, develop and maintain strategic local and regional networks and opportunities to support Seed programming.
• Ensure alignment and maximize contribution of all departments with the country strategy.
• Assist Seed with philanthropy and development opportunities in-country or regionally as needed.
• Ensure financial, legal, fiscal and operational integrity of the Seed Global Health Malawi operations.
• Manage day-to-day operations of an office including supervision of staff and resources.
• Ensure appropriate stewardship and efficiency in utilization of resources available for maximum impact including assessment and advising on mitigation of operating risks to the organization.
Human capital management
• Develop and support a high performing country team including supervision and identifying opportunities to improve staff capacity to deliver on set targets
• Support provision of technical assistance to Seed educators to optimize their general capacity to perform their professional functions as clinician-educators.
• Support local institutions and Seed educators in implementing projects to address specific educational goals.
• Oversee grants issued to local institutions for the implementation of annual workplans.
• Establish, represent, and maintain strong relationships with ministerial and institutional level leadership (school or hospital) for clinical and educational initiatives.
• In collaboration with Seed’s Boston-based MEL team, ensure that a strong country-level MEL strategy is in place and that MEL systems are effectively implemented to promote a culture of evidence-based program learning and dialogue.
• Perform any such other duties as shall from time to time be assigned by the Managing Director, Program Operations or such other designated officer.
• Provide thought leadership to Seed Global health’s local health and human resource policy outreach and position Seed to become involved in bolder policy dialogue.
• As requested, provide proximal representation of Seed for regional operations and collaborative engagements with stakeholders and donors.
• Represent Seed in-country for policy, funding or program needs and act as Seed’s representation in liaising with Ministries of Health and Education, partner institutions, USG agencies and other in-country partners.
• Working with local entities to assess areas where Seed clinical educators can leverage their expertise as educators; engaging with local Ministerial officials within Health and Education sectors to understand and inform local human resource for health efforts.
• Masters degree in public health or Business Administration, Bachelor’s degree.
• At least 8 years progressive experience working with complex donor funded health programs.
• Excellent management and communication skills.
• Experience managing multi-disciplinary teams.
• Exceptional organizational, time, and resource management skills and excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills.
• Experience establishing and managing budget and program funds, including through grants mechanisms.
• Experience working with virtual teams.
• Demonstrated cross-cultural sensitivity and ability to build respectful relationships with colleagues from different cultural, linguistic, and educational backgrounds.
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Seed Global Health.
• Based in Malawi Office
• Up to 10% travel may be required, including both domestic and international travel.
Competitive base salary commensurate with experience.
Seed does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.
To apply for this job please visit