Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian organization working in partnership with the Ministry of Health and other sectors in Blantyre and environs on a cervical cancer project.
MSFF is looking for its Blantyre office, Cervical Cancer Project.
Position: GENERAL PRACTITIONER (1 post)
Workplace : Blantyre
Type of contract : 6 Months Fixed term contract with possible extension
Start date : 21st December 2020
Main purpose of the position
Provide outpatient and/or inpatient medical care to patients according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions.
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood.
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized/IDP patients, through daily visits, consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care of the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patient’s illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
- Knows and ensures all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensures professional confidentiality is respected.
- Undertake pre-operative consultations, evaluating the risks due to comorbidities with the anesthetist and/or other medical staff involved, and obtain the patient’s signed consent to operate.
- Participate in the post-operative clinical care and ward rounds collaborating with the anesthetist, the Operating Theatre Nurse and ward staff or other Unit Managers to ensure compliance with MSF protocols and rational use of medicines.
- Attend OPD and OT when required.
- Participates in the implementation of MSF clinical policies, tools, guidelines and protocols (antibiotic prophylaxis, post-operative pain management, thromboprophylaxis, blood transfusion, etc.) and recommendations (standard hygiene and sterilization rules, prevention to HIV, TB, Syphilis and Hep B exposure) in order to minimize clinical risks.
- Plan and facilitate the training (first aid measures, IPC, pre- and post-operative standard treatments, etc…) of the IPD and OPD nurses in order to ensure the amount of knowledge required and to improve people diagnosing, triage, and early detection capabilities.
- Participate in the monthly reports when needed (i.e. SitReps, medical statistical reports, etc.).
- Knows and helps implement the accidental blood exposure policy.
- Supports other medical teams/wards when needed
- Medical Doctor Degree and Valid Registration with Medical Council of Malawi.
- 2 year experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work (can be within medical training).
- Desirable experience with MSF/other NGO’s.
- English and local language knowledge essential.
How to apply
Documents to provide
Cover letter, Updated CV Copies and work certificate(s) relevant for the position, ID copy
Deadline for submission of application: 7 December 2020
By Email: [email protected]
Subject Line: MEDICAL DOCTOR
Médecins Sans Frontières – France
P.O. Box 2736, Blantyre, Malawi
WRITE « MEDICAL DOCTOR » ON ENVELOPE
NOTE: Letters, CVs and any documentation included in application package will not be returned. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. MSFF does not reimburse the possible costs for transportation for tests and interviews that may take place during the recruitment process. MSF is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge any application/recruitment or training fees. : if ever you are requested to pay any amount to process your application or access employment with MSF, do not pay and please inform the MSF administration at 0994343467 or
email [email protected] as soon as possible.”