Tilitonse Foundation (TF) is a grant making facility supported by development partners to
support Malawian Non-State Actor (NSAs) to engage in societal transformation through
catalyzing more accountable, inclusive and responsive governance. The Foundation was
established with the following core objectives:
- To build capacity in Non-State Actors so as to promote, strengthen, enhance and entrench good governance and build sustainability.
- To mobilise and provide funds to NSAs for the promotion and enhancement of good governance in Malawi.
- To provide a platform for NSAs for improving inclusivity, transparency, accountability and responsiveness in governance in Malawi
- To promote and encourage NSAs to engage in societal transformation through catalysing more accountable, inclusive and responsive governance.
Tilitonse Foundation is looking to recruit for the following position tenable in Lilongwe, Malawi:
Position: Grants Officer
Responsible for finance compliance and risk management working with Foundation’s staff and grant partners to assist them in planning, grant making, budget and financial management.
Oversee partners’ financial reporting, budgeting, auditing and compliance to agreed TF’s procedures and policies. To build the financial and budget management capacity of grant partners through training and support and also improve the capacity of TF staff to understand and uphold both TF’s and institutional donors’ financial policies and procedures and proactively manage contracts and risk within respective grant partners
- Co-ordinate the Foundation’s grants accounting, reporting, compliance and risk management
- Review grant partners budgets and, prepare contracts/agreements and follow up on compliance
- Manage correspondences and matters in regard to grant management in consultation with the Grants and Partnerships Manager
- Support in setting grant management policies, and developing and enforcing procedures that assure transparency in the grants processes.
- Ensure proper grants management (effective use of the grant management system) for the project and ensure it is fully operating, providing the relevant grants reports and regularly updated
- Provide technical support and supervise the sub recipients to ensure full compliance with the donor requirements
- Provide continuous feedback to all grant partners on grants performance
- Receive and review periodic grants reports for all grant partners, liquidate the eligible costs and take relevant action on the expenses rendered ineligible and ensure proper allocation of expenses, reasonability of expenses and allowability as per donor guidelines.
- Periodic review of local partner internal controls and policies for advice on strengthening and transaction verification through monitoring reports and transaction analysis
- Financial capacity building delivered to staff and partners to include procurement, reporting, compliance and how to deliver training.
- Support in preparation and managing donor/internal audits including liaison with auditors and providing necessary financial archiving procedures to ensure all required expenditure support documents are properly maintained and availed when required.
- Grant partner monitoring and management reports against key indicators taking appropriate action where necessary including flagging risk and appropriate management action
- Ensure all financial transactions of the grant partners are properly authorized, recorded, supported and filed
- Facilitate training, workshops/seminars for grant partners, to foster good understanding of the grants process, implementation, reporting and accounting.
- Provide mentorship to grant partners and capacity development to them to plan, implement, monitor and report on grants awarded
Required Qualifications, Skills & competencies:
- Minimum undergraduate degree and/or professional qualification in Accounting, Finance, Business studies, Auditing, Project Management or related field
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in managing grants/contracts
- Experience of setting up and managing donor compliance monitoring systems, developing and implementing relevant tools
- Strong financial skills in budgeting, income tracking, budget monitoring, project implementation and monitoring and financial reporting
- Understanding and participating in donor financial compliance audits
- Experience in financial management within the project cycle management
- Exposure to computerised financial systems, spreadsheet and word processing packages
- Experience of managing grants/contracts from institutional donors
- Ability to supervise partners organizations and oversee compliance project function in regard to project agreement & provide clear guidance on donor policies and procedures to other staff
A competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate in line with experience and market trends.
How to apply
Interested persons who meet the above requirements should send their applications via email to:
Email: [email protected]
clearly indicating the position applied for on the subject line. The applications should comprise a cover letter explaining their suitability for the position and a detailed Curriculum Vitae with at least three traceable referees including their current employer.
Tilitonse Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
The closing date for receiving applications is 5:00 p.m . on Friday 4 December, 2020 . Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: The successful candidates selected for these positions will be subject to a pre-employment background check.