Honorary Consul of Canada in Lilongwe, Malawi
$ 5000 CAD per year (*an honorarium is an ex gratia payment made to a person in recognition of his or her services)
Fixed Term (5 years), Honorary Consul appointments by Order-in-Council are valid for a period of five years and may be renewed once.
Closing date for applications:
20-12-2020 at 23:59 UTC/GMT
Summary of position:
The position holder may have to perform the following duties:
• Delivering consular assistance to Canadians
• Providing passport and notarial services
• Acting as a local point of contact and resource for the High Commission of Canada in Mozambique
• Providing administrative and logistical support for official visits
• Advocating on behalf of Canadian interests and priorities
• Representation at diplomatic, ceremonial, and public affairs events
• Support the High Commission of Canada in Maputo in maintaining bilateral relations
• Providing political/economic reports
• Other duties specific to the consular post
• Estimated workload distribution is as follow:
Political / Public Affairs 26%
To be considered for this process, please provide examples that clearly demonstrate how you meet the following requirements in your application:
• Be proficient in English;
• Be residing within 30 kilometers from Lilongwe;
• Have a valid residency permit.
• Demonstrate a tangible connection to Canada, either by virtue of Canadian citizenship or through ties such as being employed by a Canadian company, having studied and lived in Canada, or otherwise maintaining family or professional ties with Canada
Education and Experience
• A degree from a recognized university, or an acceptable combination of equivalent education, job related training and/or experience
• Experience in decision-making with respect to sensitive and complex issues
• Experience dealing with different levels of government
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Understanding of political, economic and social dynamics in Malawi
• Well-connected and having a good standing in/with the local community
• Ability to be service-oriented
• Knowledge of one of the official languages of Canada (English)
• High ethical standards and integrity
• Sound judgment
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Proficiency in French
• Proficiency in local language(s) of Malawi.
• Independent means and availability of a suitable location (e.g. office) where consular clients can access service during regular business hours (e.g. Monday to Friday). Please note that a financial contribution to office expenses and a standard amount to pay an office/consular assistant could be provided
• Special consideration may be given to increasing gender parity in our network of Honorary Consuls.
• Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check.
• You must comply with the Ethical and Political Activity Guidelines for Public Office Holders throughout your appointment, as a term and condition. The guidelines are available on the Governor in Council Appointments website, under https://www.canada.ca/en/privy-council/topics/appointments/governor-council.html.
• You will be subject to the Conflict of Interest Act at: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-36.65/. For more information, please also visit http://ciec-ccie.parl.gc.ca/EN/Pages/default.aspx
Consideration will not be given to candidates who:
• occupy any governmental position in their state of residence and/or
• may be unable to deliver the program due to other commitments
• are politically active
• may have a real, apparent or potential conflict of interest
Condition(s) of Employment:
Area of selection:
Honorary Consuls are not employees of the Government of Canada, but official representatives of the Government of Canada appointed by Order in Council.
The selection process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the essential requirements. Please note that failure to meet any of the Essential Requirements eliminates candidates from further consideration in this process. Only those applicants who demonstrate that they meet these will be contacted by the selection committee for further assessment.
The assessment may include an interview, reference checks and other tests that will consist of a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant’s knowledge, abilities, and personal suitability for the position.
This selection process for an Honorary Consul is part of the Government of Canada’s commitment to open and transparent process for selecting Government in Council appointees. Preference may be given to candidates who are members of one or more of the following groups: women, Indigenous Canadians, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities.
How to apply
Click here – http://chc.amris.com/wizards_v2/chc/vacancyView.php?requirementId=4245&. You will be asked to complete an application form and will be required to submit a resume and cover letter describing how you meet all the essential requirements, no later than the closing date.