The Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) is seeking an experienced Technical Advisor – Laboratory management for an upcoming program in Malawi. The program will provide technical assistance/mentorship and direct implementation of comprehensive, evidence-based and tailored HIV and TB prevention, care, support, and treatment interventions in established facilities in various provinces in Malawi.
This is a full-time position supporting an anticipated five-year project. The position is contingent upon award.
The Technical Advisor for Laboratory management will ensure the implementation of best practices in sample collection, storage, validation, return of results and analysis of trends in results in alignment with government and donor policies and procedures.
- Design and lead continuous quality improvement initiatives (CQI) and technical assistance to increase utilization and delivery of high quality lab services.
- Design and lead project initiatives to scale up recency and viral load testing services.
- Develop and/or update HIV lab strategies, guidelines, in-service training approaches/curricula, standard-operating procedures and job aids as required.
- Provide technical assistance in HIV lab services at national, provincial, district, facility and community level.
- Provide direction for upgrading and establishing labs towards accreditation.
- Support and strengthen an effective specimen transportation system and its scalability in-country including coordination with relevant partners and other programs.
- Support further expansion and coordination of the Point of Care techniques to diagnose HIV and other opportunistic infections.
- Participate in the development of the project laboratory plans and oversee the development and successful implementation of the service delivery annual work plans.
- Support M&E planning to answer key lab questions including assisting in the development and tracking of indicators.
- Participate in and provide technical assistance to national and regional lab Technical Working Groups (TWG), task teams, workshops, and campaigns.
- Ensure lab activities effectively incorporate and consider gender and stigma reduction programming.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the various lab prevention and treatment partners
- Explore opportunities for quality improvement across multiple issues in lab based diagnostic network such as planning, connectivity and quality assurance.
- Develop and strengthen a platform for dialogue and addressing key laboratory issues within the MoH.
- MS in Medical Laboratory Sciences or epidemiology or microbiology or MPH; with clinical degree (MD, nursing) or PhD in Epidemiology or microbiology preferred.
- At least 7 years’ experience in implementing Lab programs, with at least 3 in HIV/Lab programs.
- Experience in capacity building e.g. developing content, planning, and facilitating training and providing technical assistance.
- Familiarity with adult learning principles/techniques and demonstrated ability to design and facilitate learning opportunities for adults.
- Fluency in both English and Portuguese
The Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) is an international non-profit affiliate of the University of Maryland, Baltimore that supports CIHEB to strengthen health systems and reduce the spread and impact of HIV/AIDS. Currently, MGIC has offices in Botswana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Zambia.
Our Core Values are at the heart of our mission to improve the human condition through teaching, research and service.